61 Movies That Will Make You Laugh
I collect movies. Good ones, moving ones, unusual ones, trippy B movies and extremely well crafted and well written ones. However, one thing that I never fail to do is to keep on the lookout for fun, funny, silly and just plain stupid ones that give you the deepest of all belly laughs.
Why? Laughter is just good medicine. If I ever think I’m starting to take life (or myself) a little too seriously, then it’s time to pop in one of the movies on this list. Several of them I travel with and recommend to widely to friends and clients. As far as this list goes, I pretty much pulled these from my head, as my collection is boxed up and 12 hours away. I’m sure I have a couple of great movies I forgot about in those boxes.
But for now, here’s a bunch for you to add to your collection. Most are available through online vendors like Amazon and some are available as downloads. If you haven’t seen them, check out the 99 cent section in your local movie rental center. Have a belly laugh on me. Enjoy!
- There’s Something About Mary (hillarious; loaded with surprises)
- The Jerk (this film had my father rolling in the theater, busting a gut; one of my favorite Steve Martin movies)
- Zoolander (this whole movie is a spoof on the fashion industry and has loads of cameos; very well written and thoroughly engaging; one of my absolute all-time favorites)
- Corky Romano (there are several scenes here that will have you laughing so hard, you may need to remove yourself to stop; Peter Falk is also in it)
- Caddy Shack (another classic with several of the Saturday Nite Live gang)
- The Princess Bride (Rob Reiner comedic masterpiece; I quit counting how many times I’ve seen this; inconceivable!)
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit (animation and real people blended very well in this movie; my favorite of that genre)
- What About Bob (there has never been a movie like this; Bill Murray plays the patient no psychiatrist wants to have…and he does it brilliantly; Richard Dreyfuss plays the narcissistic psychiatrist)
- Wild Hogs (lots of good funny section in this; how could you lose with Travolta and Martin Lawrence?)
- Madagascar (I like it when you do it, do it; this may be my all time favorite comedic animation movie; done very well)
- K9 (LOVED this movie about Jerry Lee, the police canine and his relationship with his new partner, played by Jim Belushi; hilarious)
- Be Cool (another big fav; I don’t know who’s best in this film; the Rock and Vince Vaughn are extremely colorful and Steve Tyler from AeroSmith makes an appearance; great fun)
- Joe Somebody (I don’t recall this on the big screen but I liked it when I rented it)
- Real Men (Jim Belushi and John Ritter, an unusual dual do this movie good)
- Ice Age 1 (another great, well written and funny animated comedy)
- The Waterboy (THIS is an Adam Sandler classic; this movie about foosball is too much fun)
- Ace Ventura Pet Detective (Jim Carey’s first big film; lots of fun here)
- They Call Me Bruce (B movie spoof on karate heroes)
- Young Frankenstein (another classic done in film noir)
- Blazing Saddles (Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor wrote this classic full of stars; belongs in every classic comedy collection)
- Up In Smoke (Cheech and Chong – the first of many stoner movies but with a belly laugh twist)
- Little Nicky (release the good – lots of stupid laughter here)
- Ernest Scared Stupid (I love the Ernest series)
- The Pink Panther with Peter Sellers (In-spec-tor…you’ll get hooked on this series)
- Pee Wee’s Big Adventure (the road house scene is one of my favorites)
- Stir Crazy (Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor as chickens…really)
- The Nutty Professor with Jerry Lewis (you can’t beat this version; a classic)
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Monty Python…need I say more?)
- Major League 1 and 2 (I didn’t think they could really make really funny baseball movies that I would watch again and again; I was wrong)
- The Replacements (how many times HAVE I watched this film?)
- Animal House (vintage Belushi)
- Somethings Gotta Give (I LOVE this movie…Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton are brilliant in this)
- Blame It On The Bellboy (Bronson Pinchot at his wackiest)
- The Royal Tenenbaums (just look at the cast – this was just silly)
- Slap Shot with Paul Neuman (a classic hockey comedy movie)
- Back To School with Rodney Dangerfield (anything Rodney does I like, really)
- Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo (definitely adult humor but remarkable)
- A Night At The Opera (classic Marx brothers)
- Bedazzled with Brendan Fraser (I think this version is better than the original with Dudley Moore, although they are both good)
- The Fifth Element (loads of fun – this film put Chris Tucker on the map)
- Galaxy Quest (love this space flick with Tim Allen and a stellar cast)
- Short Circuit (J5 is alive – the sequel movie is also good)
- Heart and Souls (Robert Downey Jr. does an excellent job in this funny and moving film)
- Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty (classic Beatty)
- Down To Earth with Chris Rock (an update of Warren Beatty’s Heaven Can Wait)
- Mr. Deeds (the butlers got me in this movie; love it)
- Groundhog Day (too bad people keep trying to copy this movie; you gotta do it better than Bill to get attention; love it…especially when Stargate SG1 did a spin off of this – now THAT was really good!)
- Mrs. Doubtfire (Robin Williams at his best)
- Jumangi (more Robin Williams)
- Night At The Museum (lots of great actors in this – and an amusing story; Mickey Roonie does more than cameo here)
- Arthur (one of my first Dudley Moore favorites)
- 10 (THE film that made Bo Derek a household name; Dudley was great in this)
- Ghostbusters (the first Busters movie with Bill Murray)
- Major Payne (Damon Wayans plays the title character dealing with delinquent youths)
- Hot Shots (slapstick humor with Charlie Sheen)
- The Muppet Movie (classic; the first of several good movies; get em all)
- Death To Smoochy (another Robin Williams film with Richard Norton as the good guy)
- Dumb and Dumber (this movie is stupid but so many people love it)
- Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes (another B movie that’s plain silly)
If you have a favorite, I love to know about it. List it in the comments box.
Tags: funny movies, stress relief
Great list. A few others … Meet the Parents, Life of Brian, National Lampoon’s Vacation and This Spinal Tap
How COULD I have missed Life of Brian and Meet the Parents? Both are quite funny movies. Thanks!
hire web developers
Surely i will visit once again.. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work always.. I have never expect like this..
hire a website developer | website developers for hire
Joomla Website Developer
I really enjoyed this article. It is always nice when you read some thing that is not only informative but entertaining. Excellent! that is not only informative but entertaining. Excellent!
me, myself and irene, rush hour 1 and 2, ace ventura 1 and 2 , the mask, money talks
Love that Jim Carey movie…actually all three you mentioned.
Rush Hour 1 was better than two. Don’t recall money talks.
Of course, there are several new ones to add to the list, including
Without A Paddle, Madagascar and Ice Age 1 and 2.
“A good belly laugh is good medicine.”
Thanks for the additions!
Tropic Thunder, The Hangover, and Land of the Lost should have been one of the first ones.
Land of the Lost lost me.
The Hangover…haven’t seen it yet.
Thanks for the additions.